Sunday, March 23, 2014

March has been one awesome month!!!

I would have a hard time remembering the last time I packed this much activity into one month (and it's not over yet).

Snow Canyon, Utah
The month started at Valley of Fire State park in Nevada and took me north to the St. George/Hurricane, Utah area, across northern Arizona to Page and then due south to Sedona. Along the way I shot at Valley of Fire SP, Snow Canyon SP, Quail Creek SP, Zion NP, Sand Hollow SP, Glen Canyon NRA and Dead Horse Ranch SP.

I thought about heading north from Page but wind and cold convinced me that south was the way to go. Since I had never really intended on being that far north this early in the year, this kind of puts me back on course.

I'm hoping over the next few weeks to catch any wildflower blooms that might be out there with the dry winter that we've had this year. I'm seeing a few patches here and there around Sedona so I'm hoping to catch something at a little lower elevation.

I've been putting some serious miles in on the mountain bike this month. This is primarily due to me being close to some of my all-time favorite trails. I've even found a few new gems along the way.

Riding in Valley of Fire
Some of the trails are well known like J.E.M., Gooseberry Mesa and the Sedona Trails but I also rode the St. George and Dead Horse Ranch Trails and found them to be as good as any of the rides at the more well known areas. St. George has done a great job at creating a huge network of trails that can be linked into some big rides.

The Dead Horse Ranch Trails were just a blast. I rode two days at Sedona where it was so crowded it was just annoying. I spent the rest of my time at Dead Horse and had much more fun.

Sunset at Zion Canyon

Monthly highlight:

The photo highlight for the month was Zion National Park.

Zion is in my opinion the most beautiful National Park we have. The dramatic red sandstone walls drop down to a idyllic narrow canyon where the Virgin River flows through cottonwood trees and desert foliage.

The park does get crowded even in the off-season but if you aren't afraid to walk a little you can ditch the crowds.

The other reason I love Zion is because it has excellent rock climbing, great mountain bike trails and one of the toughest road climbs in the country nearby.

The cycling highlight of the month was riding from Dead Horse Ranch SP to Sedona for a 60-mile enduro.

I think that my aversion to driving to trailheads has taken a whole new meaning on this trip. This is clearly illustrated by yesterday's twenty-mile ride to the Aerie Trailhead. Oh yes, a twenty-mile ride to the trail does imply a twenty-mile ride back from the trail. I have to say that it was worth it though. It was a great six hours on the bike, all on dirt and I got to finish with the great DH at Dead Horse.

Thumper Trail at Dead Horse Ranch SP

 It was also a great example of why I ride so consistently. I like have the base fitness where I can come up with a long ride like that on a whim and just go out and do it. No train up, no preparation, just a base level of conditioning that allows me to enjoy pretty much any trail. I don't want to "survive" the ride. I want to enjoy the ride.

It is also a way of being prepared for the worst. If you are going to ride alone in the backcountry, you need to be able to get yourself out of any trouble you may find yourself in. This means having the fitness to not just complete the ride you have planned but also the ride you don't have planned.

One mechanical, one crash and any ride can turn into an unplanned epic.

Route from Dead Horse Ranch to the Aerie/Chuckwagon Loop at Sedona.








No comments:

Post a Comment