Monday, May 12, 2014

R2R Honor Ride: Four days down...

Santa Barbara morning.
After a fairly flat start to the first couple of days, I've started to hit a few hills and am definitely glad I switched cranksets at the last moment to give myself some better climbing gears. Yesterday's cat3 (with headwind) hill after already riding 50 miles finally put me in the small ring.

The wind hasn't been as bad as I was expecting as long as I finish up by 1pm. After that, it gets a little brisk and by late afternoon it is pretty much unridable so I'll be getting some early starts on the way north.

The route so far has pretty much been  coastal/urban beach towns so I haven't been taking too many pictures. That should change starting tomorrow as I pass Morro Bay and head into Big Sur.

I was dreading this all day.
I'll be passing the Amgen Tour of California Peloton sometime Wednesday. It should be pretty cool to see them come through. I just hope they don't clean out all the restaurants along the way or it may get a little dire between San Simeon and Monterey.

It should be nice to get out of the more urban areas. It seems that the transient population has taken over the State Parks anywhere near a town. Carpeteria SP was the worst and I don't think I'll be staying there on the way back. 


Four days down: Irvine to Pismo Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment