Monday, May 19, 2014

Hanging with the Hipsters...

I'm coming to the rapid conclusion that this tour is not going to be near as adventurous as my trip across the country. The weather has been pretty good, services plentiful, campgrounds easier to find and each day has not at some point turned into a fight for survival.
Lots of this coming up.

And this is one of the reasons I wanted to do this route. I wanted to see what bike touring is like on a bike friendly route and I have to admit that it is almost pleasantly boring. I am not locked into a daily sufferfest and have been able to slow down and actually enjoy the ride.

I've been getting up early, find some breakfast and then ride to the next stop which usually only takes until noon or so. Then I have the rest of the day to hang out at the CG or do a little sightseeing. Quite a change from last time.

That is not to say there hasn't been some excitement. Yesterday I got to watch the Bay to Breakers run in San Francisco and last week I saw the Tour of California go through Big Sur. Good stuff.

Saturday night I found myself sharing the Hiker/Biker site with a group of 20-something hipsters from SF. I t was interesting hanging out with them. They definitely have a different view of camping than I do. They went all out for dinner cooking up a gourmet feast. The real highlight was listening to their interchanges with the Christian Minister on bike tour as he reinterpreted traditional christian teachings on gay marriage and other issues. I love watching the religious pick and choose which things they believe in while defending the absolute truth of the bible.
Half Moon Bay

I now find myself past San Francisco Bay and ready to tackle the North Coast. Today will be a short one while I wait for a storm to go past me to the North. I should make it to Bodega Bay tomorrow.


Ten days down.

No comments:

Post a Comment